- Wryneck symptoms
- Wryneck reasons
- Treatment of the Wryneck
The wryneck is the deformation of a neck which is characterized by the wrong position of the head at which the head is inclined in the sick party and is a little turned by the person in the healthy party.
Inborn muscular wryneck inborn disease of a musculoskeletal system, the third on frequency. Girls are ill more. Usually the wryneck develops on the right. Pathology of a clavisternomastoid (nodding) muscle happens the reason of an inborn wryneck most often. The clavisternomastoid muscle is located on both sides of a neck. From above it is attached to the mastoid located behind and below an ear, from below is attached to a clavicle. Function of this muscle – to incline and rotate the head. It is considered that in case of an inborn wryneck there is an inborn malformation of this muscle which is combined with a muscle injury in labor.
The injury is followed by hemorrhage in a muscle, the hem forms after that and the muscle is shortened. Right after the child's birth it is possible to reveal a wryneck less, than in 1% of cases. It is possible to find a thickening of a clavisternomastoid muscle only in some newborns on the one hand or asymmetry of the person. In the subsequent the muscle from the sick party lags behind in growth healthy. And on the third week of life there is noticeable a ducking in sick side and turn of the face in the healthy party, but the turn of the head in this direction is complicated.
If not to undertake a measure for elimination of a wryneck, gradually at the child asymmetry of the person, owing to the wrong growth of a facial skull and muscles because of forced position of the head amplifies. The cervical department of a backbone is bent. Auricles can be the different sizes and a form. If a wryneck not to treat, it gradually progresses and to age of 6-7 years reaches the expressed changes. The head of the child is turned aside, the shoulder girdle is raised, asymmetry of the person, skull, cervical department of a backbone. Eyes and eyebrows from a sore muscle are located below, than on the healthy party. The correct development of the sky is broken. The mastoid to which the clavisternomastoid muscle is attached increases in sizes. The normal direction of acoustical pass can change. Very seldom the bilateral wryneck meets. At the same time the head of the patient is most often thrown back back, sometimes is inclined forward. Turns of the head are sharply limited.
Other forms of a wryneck meet less often.
* neurogenic form. The wryneck develops owing to paralyzes of muscles of a neck. It can be spastic paralysis after the postponed encephalitis. Then there are twitchings of muscles (tikoidny hyperkinesias – violent uncontrollable reductions of muscles) and the nodding movements by the head. Sluggish paralysis after the postponed poliomyelitis can lead to a wryneck too. Weakness of muscles of a neck becomes the reason.
* dermatogenny (skin) form. At this form the wryneck develops owing to the hems created after burns and injuries.
* bone form. The curvature of a neck is formed because of an union of cervical vertebrae (Klippelya-Feyl's disease), or wedge-shaped cervical vertebrae.
* desmogenny form. Lead to a wryneck in this case inflammatory diseases (inflammations of lymph nodes, phlegmons) in a neck.
* the reflex form of a wryneck accompanies inflammations of a middle ear, a parotid sialaden, a jaw.
* the traumatic wryneck develops after spine injuries (fractures and dislocations of cervical vertebrae).
Disturbance of a normality of bones, soft tissues, vessels or nerves can be the reasons of development of a wryneck. She is inborn and acquired.
Treatment of the Wryneck:
Treatment of an inborn muscular wryneck. At early identification of a wryneck the forecast good. But at a long absence of treatment when asymmetry of a skull was created, it is not possible to achieve good results usually. If the wryneck is revealed in maternity hospital, to the child special laying during sleep – the healthy party to a wall, feeding is appointed in such a way that the child would try to turn the head in sick side, massage of clavisternomastoid muscles on both sides.
After an extract from maternity hospital the remedial gymnastics, massage, physical therapy is appointed. Sometimes carrying a collar as Shants, or a special cap is necessary. Most often by the end of the first year of life it is possible to reach disappearance of a wryneck. If up to 2 years of improvement did not occur, operational treatment is appointed. Plastic surgery on a sore muscle is made, after operation the plaster bandage for 1,5 months is applied. Within the next 6 months the patient has to carry a special headholder of various designs, the physical therapy and physiotherapy exercises is appointed.