Syndrome of jolting of the baby
- Reasons of a syndrome of jolting of the baby
- Symptoms of a syndrome of jolting of the baby
- Prevention of a syndrome of jolting of the baby
The syndrome of jolting of the baby which in foreign sources meets under the name Shaken Baby Syndrome or SBS is a complex of negative effects of a brain injury as a result of rigid jolting of the baby.
The syndrome of jolting of babies is more characteristic of children up to 2 years. But in certain cases it can be observed also up to 5 years. This syndrome can be provoked by jolting of the child only within 5 seconds. Usually (as well as the jolting) children in the period of gripes when the child too often cries become the victims of this syndrome. 60% of the children who received this syndrome - boys. 80% of those who are guilty of emergence of this syndrome – men.
Reasons of a syndrome of jolting of the baby:
Careless handling of the child provokes emergence of a syndrome of jolting:
- an intensive motion desease in a bed rocking chair, on hands, in a carriage;
- tossing of the child up (controversial point for some specialists considering it safe);
- jolting by a hand, a shoulder, a thorax, legs;
- a strong slap on buttocks or a back (especially with deduction by a hand or a shoulder);
- throwing of the child on some objects, on a bed.
Ease of traumatization is caused by features of a structure of a children's organism at early stages of life:
- the head in relation to a body makes up to 15%-25% of weight, that is rather heavy (at adults – to 3%);
- neck muscles too weak also do not interfere with big mobility of the head in different directions, including to the movements with a speed, very big for the child, sharpness;
- bones not absolutely stiffened, a fontanel the skull rather thin is open (in certain cases even two);
- long shoots of nervous cells in a brain yet not mature, with a defective cover;
- high content of liquid in brain substance.
Symptoms of a syndrome of jolting of the baby:
Symptoms of a syndrome of jolting of babies are too indistinct and often suggest an idea of other diseases. But nevertheless, if the child was shaken recently, then it is worth paying attention on:
- disturbance of breath (apnoea);
- slackness (also decrease in a muscle tone is possible);
- irritability and nervousness;
- lack of a smile;
- decrease in attention;
- loss of appetite (or even vomiting);
- swelling big fontanel;
- breath termination;
- the slowed-down heartbeat;
- loss of consciousness;
- hearing disorder;
- sight loss;
- pale, bluish skin;
- internal bleeding in one eyes;
- slowness of the speech (if the child already speaks).
At a strong shake-up symptoms can appear soon. But sometimes they can be shown not so obviously, at the same time with parallel formation of a tumor of a brain. Identification of serious effects can drag on for several days.
Prevention of a syndrome of jolting of the baby:
To avoid a possibility of emergence of a syndrome of jolting of babies:
- it is not necessary to buy beds rocking chairs in general;
- it is not necessary to rock to sleep intensively in a carriage and on hands;
- you should not experiment with tossing of the child up;
- not to shake the baby, being even played, and that Bol in rage;
- not to stir up the child for awakening;
- not to hit in the face and the head;
- not to throw the baby;
- learn about other ways how to calm crying of the child (any doctor will not advise to rock to sleep the child to stop crying);
- if you begin to be angry with the child, his crying, leave the room and calm down (but no more, than for 5-10 minutes), it is better to leave someone from adults to look after the child;
- control the treatment of the child of other adults that are with it.
If suddenly, an incident with a shake-up already occurred, attentively watch the child. If acute symptoms (the breath termination, vomiting) are shown, urgently it is necessary to call the ambulance. Most it is necessary to lay the child sideways, to one line, protecting a neck, preventing suffocation. If necessary the artificial respiration can be necessary. Only do not stir up the child that he recovered and give nothing in a mouth.
In case of manifestation of just suspicious symptoms see a doctor better. The child will perform inspection, diagnosis, will exclude other diseases with similar symptoms. The computer tomography, MRT, a lumbar puncture or just X-ray (skulls, a backbone, a thorax, extremities), blood test can be necessary. The doctor can check probability of hemorrhage. In difficult cases hospitalization in intensive care unit with purpose of medicamentous means can be necessary, for oxygen therapy or even surgical intervention.